What is Clinical Aromatherapy?
Aromatherapy is the therapeutic use of pure plant essential oils in order to help prevent and/or relieve a variety of different ailments ranging from stress-related conditions to muscular tension, as well as stimulating the various systems of the body (for example the immune system). It is a holistic treatment meaning that the whole person and their unique set of circumstances are taken into account in the approach to the treatment from selecting the oils to tailoring the massage techniques.
The aromatic qualities of essential oils are soothing and beneficial in themselves, but when the oils are applied topically (on the skin) through massage, their therapeutic properties are enhanced as they’re more effectively absorbed into the body. The therapeutic properties of the oils are determined by their chemical composition and the way in which our cells react to them. Plants have been used for their healing properties throughout the world and for thousands of years and as such aromatherapy is by no means a modern practice, in fact it’s roots can be traced back to the early Egyptian period over 5000 years ago.
A trained clinical Aromatherapist is able to create a specific blend of essential oils for each treatment depending on the person’s needs and the desired benefits. Each treatment is tailored to help improve the health of an individual and so in addition to selecting the oils, the therapist will also adjust the pressure to the client’s preference.
A variety of massage techniques including:
- Effleurage strokes soothe nerve endings therefore promoting relaxation.
- Petrissage movements are deeper techniques working on the muscles and soft tissues to ease any tension. These techniques also stimulate circulation and improve lymph flow promoting detoxification and supporting the functions of the various systems of the entire body.
- Pressure Point Massage – by stimulating certain points in the body, we can help restore balance by releasing blocked energy and relieve muscular tension.
This treatment has been found to:
- Revitalise the entire nervous system
- Ease muscle tension
- Aid the circulation of the blood
- Increases lymphatic circulation therefore helping to remove a build up of excess fluid
- Promote relaxation and better quality of sleep
- Aid the removal of toxins
- Balance energy levels
Frequently Asked Questions:
What are essential oils?
Essential oils are aromatic, mostly liquid substances extracted from various parts of a plant, such as petals, bark, roots, leaves, seeds and resins.
Which oils to you use?
We only use the purest oils – doTERRA essential oils – as they are carefully and thoroughly tested using the strict CPTG Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade® quality protocol to ensure a superior quality, naturally safe and purely effective therapeutic product.
How Often Should I Come For A Treatment?
This will depend on your reasons for coming and personal circumstances, however regular treatments are important not only to help relieve a condition but in the prevention of imbalances or ailments therefore maintaining the long-term benefits. If you are coming for perhaps relaxation, we would suggest fortnightly treatments. If however there is a specific condition you are looking to address, we may suggest weekly treatments for up to 6 weeks. However this is just a suggestion and we understand that this is not always possible.
How Will I Feel After The Treatment?
This will depend on the oils used and the desired effects of the treatment.
Sometimes clients experience tenderness in the muscles due to the release of toxins. Others experience tiredness for the same reason, so we encourage our clients to rest after treatments. However, once this tiredness has passed, clients usually feel refreshed and re-energised.
What Should I Do Following A Treatment?
- We encourage you to rest and relax following a treatment.
- We advise drinking plenty of water or herbal teas to help remove any toxins that may have been released
- Avoiding caffeine is encouraged
- Clients should try not to smoke or drink alcohol for about 24 hours as this will re-introduce toxins into the body
- As many people feel relaxed and often sleepy, we encourage you to wait 10 mins or so before driving.
If you would like to find out more about essential oils, please feel free to contact email@example.com