What is Deep Tissue Massage?
Deep Tissue Massage is a common means of treating musculo-skeletal disorders and can be carried out on the full body or tailored to treat a specific area. This treatment is beneficial for anyone suffering from muscle aches and pains as it helps to release tension in the soft tissues through the application of slow, purposeful strokes that work deep into the muscle fibres, however the therapist will vary pressure to suit the client.
The massage techniques used are similar to those of Swedish Massage: effleurage – relaxing strokes that warm up the body for deeper massage movements; petrissage and friction – deeper techniques used to manipulate and compress the soft tissues; acupressure point release techniques. Deep tissue techniques are also used to relax, stretch and strengthen the muscles.
This treatment has been found to benefit clients in the following ways:
- Promotes relaxation and rejuvenation of the entire body
- Aids the recovery from muscular fatigue
- Helps enhance muscle performance as it can improve muscle tone, suppleness and flexibility
- Aids in addressing any postural imbalances, for example from repetitive strain or patterns of tension a
- By stimulating circulation, the muscles become nourished and waste products are eliminated more efficiently.
After the treatment, we encourage our clients to rest and relax and to drink plenty of water or herbal teas.